Saturday, 25 March 3-5 at UNE Sydney 211 Church Street Parramatta upstairs (There is a lift!)
Join us for an informal discussion and exercise on Writing Character.
Tell us about a protagonist or the voice of a poem that impressed.
And how do writers produce a memorable person, an unforgettable voice?
Plus Open Mic – your original works are most welcome – short or an excerpt.
Image: Banisters at 211 Church Photo: Mihaela Cristescu
Blast from the past at 211 Church Street (UNE Sydney) with Sue Chamoun, Luke Carman, Sue Crawford and Carol Amos. Will be great to return in 2023!
Photo: Mihaela Cristescu
First gathering for 2023 with NEW Writers’ Group Inc Saturday 4 Feb, 3-5 pm UNE Sydney 211 Church Street Parramatta – enter at ground floor reception, let them know you are attending our event, then head upstairs to sign in. Entry $5. Free for financial members.
Introductions; Updates on our calendar and key projects for 2023; Open Mic
OPEN MIC details:
- Valentine theme – your interpretation
- Light deep comic ironic (but not crude thanks)
- No props, no music, solo only, English only
- Time limit strictly 3 mins max
- Your original work
- Book award
Note re Venue:
We do not use the kitchen or student/staff equipment.
Guests at UNE premises are allowed only bottled water on site and no food.
(We sometimes go for a drink/snack afterwards.)
Wheelchair access. There is a wheelchair lift near main entrance and internal lift.
NB Some scooters might be too large. Please contact us at least three days beforehand at re options.
COVID: Please comply with social distancing requests. Do not attend if feeling unwell or testing positive.
New to us? You are most welcome but suggest you check our About page to see our charter and other information.
Saturday, 12 November at UNE, 28 George St Parramatta
3-5 pm Please sign in downstairs 2:50-3:00
Masks please, and no food or drink except bottled water.
We always bring wrapped sweets. No obligation to eat them.
Open Mic – short work or extract
Survey on your suggestions for 2023
*Ekphrastic writing – discussion and exercise
Afterwards, join us at the Woolpack for a quick drink/snack
*Ekphrastic Writing – one among many definitions – “describes or pays tribute to a piece of visual art”.
Here is an artwork we will include in the exercise: Meandering City by Kathryn Munro
Saturday, 10 September, 2022, 3-5pm
UNE, 28 George Street, Parramatta
Please sign in downstairs 2:50-3:05 pm
Please note we wear face masks. No food/drink except bottled water .
Bi-lingual poet and translator Mihaela Cristescu will get us thinking about poetry and then, whether you’re a poet or not, we’ll help fix a poem that needs help and maybe write a limerick.
Please bring a poem of your own to read AND/OR one of your favourite poems by someone else and tell us what you value about it. NB Our usual rule is no reading of works not written by the reader! So here’s your chance to break the rule…
Carol Amos will head up the drama team. Everyone draws a character from a hat. With a bit of information supplied, you write up the character’s story/style and then introduce them to the team. A whodunnit? Find out …
Saturday, 13th August, 3-5 pm at UNE Sydney’s 28 George Street, Parramatta
Please sign in on ground floor (28 George, Parramatta) 2:50-3:05 pm. This will be a masked event!
Plus Open Mic – bring something short to share!
Carol Amos, President of NEW Writers’ Group Inc, welcomed us to our first onsite Parramatta gathering in two years of Covid on Saturday, 26 March. We lined up outside for the group photo (inside it’s masks on always) and a kind passerby took this shot with Mihaela’s camera. Special thanks to UNE Sydney at Parramatta for this ideal venue. Kudos to Eric and Chris for tech support with Sue, Carol and the Cartwrights for ideas on Dialogue, and everyone for turning up on an unpredictably rainy day.
GATHERINGS UNE Sydney at 28 George Street Parramatta
Saturdays 3-5pm: Sign in 2:50-3:05 Ground floor entrance
April 9, May 14, June 11,
July 9, August 13, Sept 10, Nov 12
Attendance: $5 for onsite gatherings
Free for financial members and carers
Please wear well fitted masks.
Valentine’s Day Spoken Word Val’s Rules:
2 mins of your original take on love/romance – the joy the despair the mundane. Solo, no music, no props, no intros, English only. You lose marks for unnecessary swearing and going over time.
We’ll also swap news on our latest reading and writing and discuss the NWG Inc’s 2022 calendar before wrapping up with Open Mic: your original work any topic, 2 mins max.
1st March ZineWest 2022 Writing Entries open – entry form available soon.
Saturday 12 March 11:30 am
Launch of Stay A While, 6th edition of Mihaela Cristescu’s Romanian /Australian bi-lingual anthologies. State Library of NSW.
Saturday 26 March, 3-4:30 pm Writing Exercise and discussion plus Open Mic. Details to come.
NEW Writers’ Group Inc will soon be back at work! In January the committee will draw up a calendar for 2022. No onsite venue yet, but the following events and projects are decided:
- Our first gathering will be on Zoom in February, date to be confirmed.
- ZineWest will open for entries from 1st March and be launched in October.
- Romanian/Australian Anthology (Stay a While) launch is 12 March at the State Library of NSW.
- Writing projects for our regular anthologists and other Western Sydney creatives are being discussed.
- The FB page Writing Parramatta will continue. We have a backlog of Q&A’s to post and will seek more from local artists and writers.
- Gatherings – whether on zoom or onsite – will be held at least once a month for open mic, workshops and tutorials.
- In the monthly sessions we plan to include short Q&A’s with individual writers.
- We will run additional sessions with a specific focus – details to come.
SATURDAY, 24th APRIL, 2021, 3-4:30 PM – ZOOM
- 2 mins of your original work
- free entry
- No sermons, no politics, no props, no pets
- 16 years and over
- We begin with intros, audio/visual checks, so everyone is off to an equal start
- You keep a score card on the other contestants to cast a vote for the winner
- Our judges also announce a winner
- You don’t need to be a contestant to attend
- Prizes are chapbooks or anthologies by Australian writers
ZOOM LINK AVAILABLE FROM